15 Of The Most Notorious Criminals Never Caught

Nowadays, the idea of the perfect crime is a pipe dream. Due to
advanced technology and surveillance everywhere, being a
successful criminal for any period of time is almost unheard
of. Criminals, for the most part, aren’t very smart people to
begin with and, like anyone else, will eventually make a
mistake and get caught. Even with forward-looking planning and
plenty of prep-time, despite what Hollywood films will tell
you, it’s almost impossible to get away scot-free! However,
every now and then, some brazen criminals, having committed
high-profile crimes, have indeed absconded without ever having
to face the music, so to speak. In those rare cases, crime did
indeed pay.

Many people have heard of the infamous Zodiac Killer, Jack the
Ripper, or even the gruesome Axeman of New Orleans. Maniacs
such as these have managed to elude investigators for decades,
or even a century in the case of Jack. Rare individuals such as
these, through criminal genius or sheer dumb luck, appear to
have escaped justice and have successfully hidden from capture.
Are they just good at blending in? Do they have some great
shady connections that have continued to help them out? Who
knows? What we do know is that law enforcement agencies have
pledged to never stop looking for these villains.

Here, my intention is not to reiterate the ghastly exploits of
Zodiac or Jack, but instead share with you a list of fifteen
other notorious criminals, some you may have never even known
existed. Any one of them could be quietly living as your
unassuming neighbor, the creepy man who’s always at the dog
park, or maybe your local grocery store stocker. Read and take
heed, the following criminals have never been caught.

15. Donald Eugene Webb

Donald Eugene Webb is a career criminal who specialized in
jewelry store burglaries. On December 4, 1980, he graduated to
murder when he is believed to have killed 31-year-old Gregory
Adams, chief of police in Saxonburg, Pennsylvania.

In that small community, everyone knew everyone and the crime
rate was very low. But on that day in December, Chief Greg
Adams was found near the home of his friend and neighbor, Midge
Freehling. Freehling’s son had heard a gunshot and, when he
went to check, he found Adams lying in the bushes, shot twice
at close range after apparently being viciously beaten around
the head and face. Adams was still alive at this point but
didn’t know who attacked him. Paramedics rushed Adams to the
hospital but he died soon after.

An investigation revealed that Adams had been killed while in
the middle of a routine traffic stop. A driver’s license was
found near the scene that was believed to have fallen out of
Adams’ hand after he was shot. The license belonged to Stanley
John Portas of New Jersey. Additionally, an empty pistol with
the serial numbers scraped off was also found nearby.
Immediately, police learned that Stanley John Portas had been
dead for 32 years, but other information on the “new” Portas,
including his wife, matched up with a known-burglar by the name
of Donald Eugene Webb.

On December 31, 1980, Webb was charged with unlawful flight to
avoid prosecution and on suspicion of murder. Webb is a master
of assumed identities. With experience working as a butcher,
car salesman, repairman, jeweler, and realtor, he could blend
in anywhere. In fact, Webb has remained elusive for over 27

14. The CBN Bomber

Televangelist Pat Robertson’s broadcasts are seen by millions
of viewers around the United States. His outspoken nature and
controversial statements have made him a target of numerous
death threats over the years. He runs his media empire from the
headquarters of the Christian Broadcasting Network, CBN, in
Virginia Beach, Virginia.

CBN receives thousands of letters and packages daily, but on
April 27, 1990, one particular package looked suspicious. It
had strips of newspaper sticking out of the box. Scott
Scheepers, a CBN security officer, scanned the mysterious
package with an x-ray machine, but didn’t see anything to
confirm his suspicions. Still wary, Scheepers decided to check
the package contents. As carefully as possible, Scheepers
opened the lid to the box while still trying to maintain his
distance. An explosion suddenly threw him to the ground. He was
rushed to the hospital where he underwent emergency surgery to
remove shrapnel from his leg. Scheepers was fortunate that he
wasn’t holding the package outright; otherwise he wouldn’t have
survived the blast.

An investigation revealed that the package contained a homemade
pipe bomb. It was quickly linked to an attack that took place
just a few months earlier against another televangelist –
Pastor John Osteen. In that attack, Osteen’s daughter, Lisa
Cines, suffered third-degree burns and minor cuts. The
investigation revealed the same materials were used in both,
and that they were mailed from rural towns near Fayetteville,
North Carolina. Authorities were able to get a composite sketch
of the man who had been seen mailing the bombs. He’s described
as a neatly dressed, average-build white male with brown hair.
The U.S. Postal Inspection Service issued a reward for
information leading to his capture; however, the bomber has
remained at-large for 27 years.

13. The Human Time Bomb

It was January 1996, 65-year-old Harvey McCloud had seen just
about everything in his decade as a taxi driver in Modesto,
California. When he encountered a man wearing a turban, a
phoney beard, and moustache, he wasn’t surprised. In a low
voice, the man asked for a ride. After a few blocks, he put a
gun in McCloud’s face. He secured a black metal box with a
numeric keypad onto McCloud’s body. The gunman gave McCloud
detailed instructions. He was to take a second bomb into a bank
and leave it there. He said he could detonate the bomb with his
cellular phone. McCloud entered the bank and handed the teller
a robbery note. The shocked teller complied and filled a case
with money. Everything had gone to plan; however, McCloud
couldn’t bear the thought of innocent people getting harmed.
Instead of leaving the second bomb in the bank, he took it with
him as he left.

When he returned to the taxi, the man was gone, but had left a
note with instructions. McCloud was to drive to a hardware
store, then walk half a mile to a pay phone. There, the gunman
would phone McCloud with directions for deactivating the bomb.
After about 10 minutes waiting at the pay phone, McCloud
realized that it wouldn’t accept incoming calls. He panicked
and decided to call his dispatcher. After that, in quick
fashion, the police arrived, evacuated the area, and had the
bomb squad remove the bomb from around his neck. Both bombs
ended up being fakes. Multiple witnesses told police that they
saw the mystery gunman outside the bank but failed to get his
license plate as he drove off. He was described as about 6-feet
tall, medium build, with short salt-and-pepper hair. The
mystery man was never caught.

12. I-70 Serial Killer

On April 8, 1992, 23-year-old Robin Fuldauer of Indianapolis,
Indiana, was found shot to death at the store where she worked.
Just three days later, 23-year-old Patricia Smith and
32-year-old Patricia Magers, co-workers at a bridal shop in
Wichita, Kansas, were found shot to death in the storeroom of
their shop. Then, three weeks later, 24-year-old Nancy
Kitzmiller of St. Charles, Missouri, was found shot to death
inside the boot store she managed. Within a few days,
40-year-old Micahel McCown, of Terre Haute, Indiana, was also
found murdered.

Five murders in three states; apparently random at first
glance. However, each murder took place at a shopping center
just off Interstate 70. A ballistics check confirmed that all
four were shot with the same gun. Then on May 7, 1992, in
Raytown, Missouri, at the Woodson Village Shopping Center, near
an access road to Interstate 70, 37-year-old Sarah Blessing was
shot in the gift shop where she was working alone.

A nearby shop owner heard the gunshot and went to investigate.
As he did, he noticed a strange man cross the parking lot.
Another witness saw the same man climb the embankment to the
I-70 access road and disappear. A multi-state task force was
set up to catch this vicious killer stalking the retail
establishments along I-70. The investigation confirmed that all
six victims were killed with the same .22 caliber pistol. In
Wichita, a witness was able to give the one good description of
the murderer which was used to create a composite drawing. The
photo was publicized but the killer was never caught.
Additional murders in Texas a few years later were believed to
be committed by the same man. After all these years, he remains

11. The Cowboy Bandit

On September 19, 1987, a tall, well-dressed man in cowboy boots
entered a bank in Spokane, Washington. He pulled a gun on a
teller and announced that the bank was being robbed. He ordered
everyone into the vault and had a teller collect $100,000. He
then left the bank and disappeared. Approximately a year later,
the same man robbed another Spokane bank, stealing $14,000,
this time setting off a dye pack that he was given. The small
explosion occurred in public outside the bank, causing
witnesses to take notice of the man.

After another robbery three months later, a composite sketch
was finally able to be drawn up and disseminated. However, a
sketch is no photograph and the robber, now dubbed “The Cowboy
Bandit,” remarkably managed to avoid being caught on security
cameras. His luck changed the next summer, when a
quick-thinking bank teller triggered a silent alarm, which set
off the bank surveillance camera, as well. It was the break law
enforcement was waiting for. They now had photos of The Cowboy
Bandit. Using these photos, the elusive bandit was linked to
three more robberies in Tucson, Arizona. However, even with
photos, The Cowboy Bandit remains at-large.

10. The Ben Stahl Painting Thieves

The artist Ben Stahl was born in Chicago in 1910. As a young
man, he sharpened his skills completing beautiful illustrations
for books and magazines. At the pinnacle of Stahl’s career, the
Catholic Press commissioned him to paint the Stations of the
Cross for a special edition of the Bible. The 14 small
paintings he completed gained so much popularity that Stahl
decided to paint them again on a much grander scale. He spent
two years on these and, in November 1966, opened the Museum of
the Cross so the public would have a chance to see his work.
The paintings were described as an almost holy experience.

Then, in 1969, just after Easter, burglars broke into the
museum. There was no security in place and no alarm system. The
crooks were meticulous in their theft. Instead of cutting the
canvases out, they carefully removed each staple, then rolled
the paintings up and made their escape. The paintings were
never seen again. Ben Stahl died in 1987, without ever
discovering what happened to his paintings. With the statute of
limitation having expired on the theft, his children still have
a standing reward being offered for the art’s safe return.

9. Roberto Solis

Twenty-one year old Heather Tallchief was an armored car driver
in Las Vegas, Nevada. On Friday, October 1, 1993, while
refilling ATM’s of several local casinos, she vanished. It was
going to be a busy weekend so her armored car was loaded with
over $3 million. A check of the surveillance footage
shows that Heather simply drove off after dropping her
co-workers at a casino side-entrance. She vanished with all the
cash. It appears Heather’s whole job was a ruse. She had
applied and taken the position two months prior as part of a
grand criminal plan.

Heather had no criminal record and police searched her
apartment for clues as to why she would do such a thing. In
addition to Heather’s fingerprints, an additional set were
found, belonging to convicted murderer and thief, Roberto
Solis. The investigation revealed that Heather had met Solis,
began a relationship, and together planned the perfect crime.
Solis had even opened up a business retrofitting vehicles into
armored cars, so as not to draw suspicion whenever Heather
drove in with the stolen vehicle.

Two hours after her disappearance, Heather and Solis, in
disguise, boarded their chartered jet bound for Colorado. In
Colorado, the couple had covered their tracks and the trail
went cold. Heather eventually surrendered in 2005, having left
Solis when she learned she was pregnant with his child. She
claimed she had been brainwashed by Solis and wanted her son to
have a normal life. Heather served 63 months in prison, but
Roberto Solis remains at-large.

8. The Brink’s Heist

On April 19, 1989, at approximately 1:00 P.M., Brink’s armored
truck drivers in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, encountered a group
of well-planned thieves. With commando-style precision, one of
the robbers quickly overpowered a guard; another set blocked
the armored truck’s escape, while a fourth robber affixed a
bomb to the truck’s hood. In less than 60 seconds, the thieves
stole almost a million dollars in cash and then simply
vanished! The Federal Bureau of Investigation agents assigned
were amazed at the level of precision in which the robbery was
conducted. The thieves were evidently well-trained. The bomb
squad, using an x-ray machine, discovered that the bomb was a
clever fake. They were able to link the fake bomb to an
identical one used in a robbery three years prior. In that
crime, the same band of thieves absconded with over $600,000.

With $1.6 million in their pockets, the FBI believed that the
gang would disappear forever. However, a year later, just ten
miles from the previous robbery, the same gang took on another
Brink’s armored truck team. They blocked the truck with a van
while another team overpowered the guard who was loading the
cash into the truck. The thieves fired numerous gunshots, but
more to scare the guards than to harm them. In mere seconds, a
getaway car pulled up and the thieves were gone, making off
with a ton of cash! It was a miracle no one was harmed as the
streets were full of bystanders.

The FBI quickly finds all their discarded vehicles but they are
always wiped clean of evidence. After that last robbery, the
thieves simply vanished and haven’t been heard from since, as
far as law enforcement in aware. With all that money, they
could be anywhere by now, living a life of luxury.

7. Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan was a dynamic British aristocrat and army officer,
known for his skill at backgammon and his affinity for vodka
martinis, powerboats, and Aston Martin cars. His legal name was
Richard Bingham, the 7th Earl of Lucan, a British
noble whose spirited life took a terrible turn in November
1974. That was when he mysteriously vanished after the murder
of his children’s nanny, Sandra Rivett.

Rivett’s body was found in the basement of his family’s home in
the wealthy Belgravia section of London. The search began for
Lord Lucan after his estranged wife, Veronica Duncan, the
Countess Lucan, ran into a nearby pub, bleeding from head
wounds, shouting, “He’s in the house! He’s murdered the nanny!”
Inside the house, police found Rivett, bludgeoned to death with
a lead pipe and placed in a canvas mail bag. Though it wasn’t
clear as to why Lord Lucan would have killed her, some theorize
he might have mistaken her for his wife.

The couple had separated in 1972, and he had been in a bitter
battle with his estranged wife over custody of their three
children. An international manhunt ensued and unverified
sightings were reported across the globe. A car that Lord Lucan
had borrowed from a friend was found, abandoned and
bloodstained near London. A subsequent inquest officially
declared him the killer. Theories abound on the whereabouts of
Lord Lucan, some even believing he committed suicide. A British
judge declared him dead in 1999, and a death certificate was
formally issued in 2014. Some believe, however remotely, there
remains a possibility that Lord Lucan is still alive and in
hiding. He would be in his 80s.

6. The Anglin Brothers & Frank

Technically, John Anglin, Clarence Anglin, and Frank Morris
were caught, but they make this list because they mysteriously
vanished and were never seen again. You might not recognize
their names, but you know their accomplishment: they were the
only men to ever escape from San Francisco’s famed
“unescapable” island prison, Alcatraz.

The three men plotted their escape for years and finally
carried it out on June 11, 1962. They left in their bunks
realistic-looking papier mâché heads with real human
hair. Then they squeezed through a hole they had painstakingly
made in the walls of the prison. They crawled through air vents
to the roof, then making their way down a smokestack to the
shoreline. Using an escape raft they fashioned out of stolen
raincoats and some improvised paddles, they proceeded into the
dark waters of San Francisco Bay. After that, no one really
knows what happened to them. Some believe they died before ever
reaching the opposite shore, drowning in the turbulent currents
of the bay. Others believe they made it to freedom.

A considerable manhunt ensued but their bodies or their trail
was never found. The Anglin family are certain the brothers, at
least, survived and were alive and well until at least the
mid-1970s, possibly still today. The evidence? Well, after the
brothers escaped, someone was sending Christmas cards to their
mother and signing the Anglin brother’s names. The cards never
had postage. Though experts agree the signatures are authentic,
investigators are unsure about the exact dates of the cards.
Other evidence includes a photo from South America in the
1970s, claimed to show the brothers alive and well on their
ranch. What do you think? Did they make it to freedom?

5. Aribert Heim

Also known as “Dr. Death,” Austrian physician Aribert Heim was
a Waffen-SS officer with Nazi Germany during World War II. He
was assigned as a camp physician at the Mauthausen
concentration camp. There, he conducted ghastly medical
experiments on Jews. In 1945, when the war ended, Heim was
captured by U.S. soldiers but later released. He stayed in
Germany where he worked as a gynecologist for many years. Then
in 1962, after learning the police were coming for him, he
disappeared. He remains one of the last few major Nazi war
criminals still wanted.

Some believe he made his way to Egypt where he assumed the
identity of Tarek Hussein Farid. Having converted to Islam, the
tall, imposing German known as “Uncle Tarek” would often sit at
the Groppi Café downtown and buy bonbons for the area children.
Friends and acquaintances of the man in Egypt remember that he
was a prolific photographer and almost always had a camera
hanging around his neck; however, he never allowed himself to
be photographed. Tarek Hussein Farid reportedly died of cancer
in Cairo, around August 1992. Investigators in Israel, Germany,
and Austria all believe Heim was still living in hiding in
Latin America, possibly with an illegitimate daughter in Chile.
Witnesses from Finland to Vietnam and Saudi Arabia to Argentina
have reported sightings. However, most believe “Uncle Tarek”
was indeed Heim. Despite the claims, the case remains open as
the location of Tarek’s burial site is unknown.

4. Heinrich Müller

Müller was the head of the Nazi Gestapo secret police during
World War II. Müller was one of the most significant Nazis that
were never brought to justice, nor whose death was ever
officially confirmed. As a senior officer and trusted advisor
to Heinrich Himmler and Adolf Eichmann, Müller was directly
involved in the planning and implementation of the Holocaust,
and was present as the 1942 Wannsee Conference when the “Final
Solution” was officially adopted.

Under his command, the secret police were infamous for their
brutal torture techniques. Since there was already another
General Heinrich Müller, he was referred to as “Gestapo
Müller.” After Gestapo founder Reyhard Heydrich’s assassination
in 1942, Müller was put in charge of the investigation. Using
bribery and torture, he successfully identified the Czech
commandos, who then killed themselves rather than be captured.
He also led the investigation into the attempted assassination
of Adolf Hitler in 1944. His investigation resulted in the
arrest of more than 5,000 people and 200 executions.

Müller was last seen on April 28, 1945, the day Hitler
committed suicide. Müller then vanished having made it clear
that he would not be taken prisoner by the Russians. Due to the
Cold War, interest in capturing Müller diminished in 1947, but
was reignited years later when rumors began circulating that he
had been seen in Soviet interrogation centers. Other rumors
told of him being sighted in Panama. When Adolf Eichmann was
captured in 1960, he stated he fervently believed Müller was
indeed alive. By the late 1960s, sightings stopped and no one
has ever discovered the truth about Müller’s whereabouts.

3. Matteo Messina Denaro

In the 150-year-old Cosa Nostra, or Sicilian Mafia, he was
known as Il Capo di Tutti Capi, “the Boss of all
Bosses.” Over many years, Matteo Messina Denaro, also known as
“Diabolik,” proved himself to be an expert organizer and crime
leader; possibly the world’s most famous. From expensive cars,
beautiful women, large homes, and expensive jewelry, Denaro
wasn’t afraid to flaunt his ill-gotten gains. Denaro, the last
of Sicily’s notorious bosses, went into hiding after he was
implicated in the 1993 Italian bomb attacks aimed at slowing
the pace of government actions against the Mafia. He has
remained at-large for over two decades.

Regarding himself as something of a folk hero, Denaro has
maintained his luxurious lifestyle while still being on the run
and wanted for more than fifty murders. He has made many top-10
lists of the world’s most-wanted criminals. Some believe he
enjoys the protection of local police and politicians. That
hasn’t stopped investigators from seizing investments from many
fronts for Denaro’s money-making activities, including shopping
centers, food distributors, and wind farms. His grasp is so
extensive that they say it is hard to ascertain where the
economy of western Sicily stops and his criminal empire begins.

As the government of Italy attempts to cut off the cash flow to
Denaro, they hope he will eventually be caught. Though many
believe that may never happen. Denaro doesn’t use a cell phone
or computer more than once, maintains a fierce bodyguard force,
and only associates with those loyal to him. Even though police
are pretty sure he has remained near his home in Castelvetrano
and western Sicily, those loyal to him refuse to admit they’ve
had any contact with him. Instead of demanding protection
money, Denaro has nurtured local businesses, ensuring they keep
his location a secret.

2. The Pink Panthers

The Pink Panthers are a very successful band of Serbian jewel
thieves. Interpol attributes to them some of the most
sensational armed robberies in history. The group is bold,
stylish, and use intricate planning to pull of their stunning
capers. Some criminologists even dare call their crimes
artistic in nature. Their robberies have spanned multiple
countries across the globe. The first robbery they committed,
that we know of, was in 1993, when they stole a £500,000
diamond from a London jeweler. They hid the diamond in a jar of
facial cream, similar to a scene from the 1975 film, The
Return of the Pink Panther
, which is how the group earned
their name. Since then, the Pink Panthers have profited from
robberies of over 120 stores, in 20 different countries.

They are known for their attention to detail, which could be
the reason for their success rate. For instance, before one
raid in Biarritz, they coated a bench across from the jewelry
store in fresh paint to keep bystanders from sitting on it and
becoming witnesses to their crime. The group is also known for
imaginative entrances and daring escapes. In another heist,
they drove a pair of stolen limousines through a window into a
Dubai mail, making off with over £8million. In Paris, they
dressed up as women and stole over $100 million (£60 million)
worth of jewelry. The Pink Panthers are believed to have made
billions of dollars and remain at-large, able to strike
anywhere at any time.

1.  D.B. Cooper

On November 24, 1971, a man under the alias of Dan Cooper
boarded Northwest Orient Airlines flight #305, in Portland,
Oregon, bound for Seattle, Washington. Dressed in a dark suit
and tie, he showed a flight attendant a bomb inside his
briefcase and thus began the most famous hijacking in aviation

He demanded $200,000, four parachutes, and food for the crew.
Once the plane landed in Seattle, he released all the
passengers and one flight attendant. The FBI acquiesced to his
demands and, once it was refueled, the Boeing 727 took off
again heading south. About 45 minutes after takeoff, Cooper
donned a parachute and told the flight attendant to go to the
cockpit. He had tied the bank bag full of cash onto himself and
lowered the aft stairs of the plane. Then, in a heavy storm,
Cooper jumped from the plane and was never seen again.

The FBI had air force fighter jets scrambled to follow the
plane, but Cooper had the plane flying close to stall speed,
too slow for the pursuing aircraft to safely follow. A military
search was conducted of the suspected jump zone but no trace of
Cooper was ever found. The media mistakenly referred to him as
“D.B. Cooper,” and the moniker stuck. In 1980, north of
Portland, a young boy found bundles of cash totaling $5,800
buried a few inches in the sand. The money was from Cooper’s

Did Cooper die in the jump? Was he an experienced skydiver?
Intriguingly, some of his actions, according to experts,
pointed to him being a novice, while other actions seemed to
indicate he was an expert. The case goes down in history as
being the only unsolved skyjacking in commercial aviation

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *